Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Musical Family

Music has always held a special place in my heart. I have always tried to encourage ANY kind of music. Each of my children have had piano lessons...some more than others. All of my children have BEAUTIFUL voices (ok, I may be biased) I would like to brag about the musicians that my children are....

First we will start with Jessica...she plays the piano very well. I enjoy listening to her relaxing by playing the piano. I believe she finds that it is a "stress reliever". Recently, she has begun voice lessons. Now, I am graced with hearing an angelic voice practicing her music ALONG with playing the piano.

Ryan has always been talented when it comes to music. He started by taking piano lessons. While he could play it, there wasn't a "draw" to the piano. He has always LOVED the guitar. As a toddler, he would ask if he could have a "violent guitar". When he was around 4 or 5, we gave him a junior guitar for Christmas. I was amazed at how well he took care of it...I believe he still has that original guitar (minus a couple of strings). In 5th grade, the school offered free guitar lessons. We invested in an acoustic guitar AND a classic guitar. Wayne and Ryan went weekly and learned the guitar. It was quite the bonding experience. In the 4th & 5th grades, he was selected to participate in the Colorado Springs All Boys Choir. He also participated in the school's honor choir. Ryan has ALWAYS enjoyed singing. Once he entered middle school, the band took over. He began his "band career" by playing the French Horn (my personal favorite). Part way through his middle school career, he switched instruments...he then played the Tuba. He currently plays the Tuba in High School. Recently, he has returned to his guitar. He has continued to learn (on his own) how to read tablature (not sure of the spelling). He is able to play many songs. His favorite is to play songs from the band "America". Maybe one of these days, we will get him his "violent guitar" or electric guitar. I also love sitting by him at church and listening to his rich bass sound as he sings!

Christopher also started out with the piano. He was able to play, but like his brother, he wasn't drawn to it. He participated in the elementary school's honor choir also. Once in middle school, he took up the trombone. His talent was obvious. We had him take private lessons and Chris took off! He has been the first chair for most of his middle school career. He also tried out for the Jazz Band this year. He didn't expect to get in since the majority of participants are 8th graders and he was just a 7th grader. He made it into that band, but the teacher switched his instrument to the Bass Trombone. So, currently, Chris is playing 2 instruments...in band, the regular trombone and in Jazz band, the bass trombone. Chris is also quite the singer, however, with his voice changing, I don't get to hear it that often!

Tiffany started out with piano lessons like the rest. She has gone in and out of interest in the piano. It has been hard for her to stick with it. However, you can find her sitting at the piano playing and singing along. Like the majority of her siblings, she too has participated in the elementary school's honor choir. She has quite the mature voice for a child her age. I believe singing will be her strong point. The other day, we took her up to the middle school to figure out which instrument would suit her. She tried pretty much all of them. She could get sound out of all of the instruments, however, when she played the clarinet, it sounded like MUSIC! She is excited about starting this chapter of her music career.

Music brightens my day! It warms my heart that my children ALL have a love for it!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that wonderful to have such musically talented kids? I hope that my girls will also like it. I think Whitney will, she loves to listen to music and knows a lot of primary songs already! I'm so glad your school system promotes music and gives such great opportunities to learn and be part of musical groups. Windham was like that also. Recently the school board there wanted to take the music program completely out of the middle school because of budget restraints, and cut back on elementary and high school. But enough people protested and showed support that I think they'll be able to keep the music programs up and running.
    I wish we lived closer, I'd have your kids come sing for my ward! :) I'm the ward music chairman and I have a really hard time finding people who are willing to perform musical numbers, but the Bishopric wants one every week!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love to hear the kids sing and play. While all were growing up from the time we moved to West Covina we always had a paino. Nothing that you could call a good piano, but it was still there to be played and pounded on or pulled across the room when we tied Skipper to it (and it was an old and very heavy piano)It is one of the things I noticed most and still do from when all our kids abandoned us.

    ReplyDelete