Memorial Day is a wonderful day to remember our loved ones who have gone on before us, fallen soldiers, and how important family time is! Early this morning,(ok, so it wasn't real early...alright, so it was 8:00) we woke up our children. We asked them if they were interested in a hike. The forecast reported a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon. That meant that we had to HURRY! (Remember...we have teenagers) Lucky for us, we were able to leave by 9:00. ..even picking up an extra teenager (Chase Leftwich). We decided to head north east rather than west (that's where most of the storms usually are). We went to Castlewood Canyon National Park. This is an interesting park because it appears out of nowhere!!! As we drove east and north, we encountered rolling hills and basically plains. There were lots of cows and horses to look at. We drove for about 1/2 hour. The kids thought I was nuts...there couldn't be hiking out here!! BOOM! Right before our eyes, the park appeared.
It is an unexpected beauty!
We started out our hike in GREAT spirits...believe it or not...we ended that way too!
Here is Jessica, Chase & Ryan.
Wayne, my children & my dog!
(He called it his "bomb shelter)
Not to be out done, Tiffany found an even DEEPER cave.


Don't forget to put the emphasis on the "Dam".
Here is Jessica attempting to add a letter to the end of that sign...and Wayne ...
well the picture says it all!
ok, even I couldn't stop saying it!
Going to the Dam Ruins wasn't quite far enough, so we went on to what they called the "falls". It really wasn't LARGE falls, but it was fun to play in. Here is Tiffany & Chris hopping rocks.
Look...Chris is relaxing while Wayne is trying to catch up to him. ha,ha.
Unfortunately, we didn't get the picture of Jessica falling into the water. Lucky for her...Chase lent her his socks. (Is that sanitary?) I also didn't get pictures of the boys laying down on the rocks and "cooling" their heads off in the water. We went back to the car after that. Notice how there are no pictures....it was all UPHILL on the way back!!!!!! We ended up walking a little over 4 miles and really enjoyed ourselves! What a great way to spend time as a family!
Wow, what a fun day! I would be worried about snakes and critters though. I guess I'm not cut out for hiking.
ReplyDeleteSure makes me miss Colorado! Especially in this blazing heat! (Not that I've been outside much lately, but still!)
ReplyDeletethanks for letting my son tag along...since we wouldn't let him tag along with us on the cruise. He seems to be fond of spending time with your family...hmmm..I wonder why????
ReplyDelete