For Thanksgiving this year, we decided to head to Utah. Wayne's niece, Cami was getting married the day after, so we decided to make the trek. What was supposed to be fun, turned into a nightmare QUICKLY.
First off, we had to return home a couple of times for things that we forgot and really needed. We should have known it was a sign for us to just stay...
Denver traffic was HORRIBLE! It took us twice as long as normal. There was a semi that had somehow had his bed break off and of course, everyone has to slow WAY down and look! Other than that, the drive was pretty uneventful. As we were nearing Rock Springs, we realized that we would make it to Logan, Utah around 11:00pm. We felt it would be better if we just got a hotel and stayed the night and then traveled the last 3 hours in the morning. We ended up in Little America, about 35 miles west of Rock Springs. The hotel was wonderful! It was clean and roomy. We all slept very well, and were ready to continue our journey. We loaded the car and got set to go. When it was put in reverse, it just died...STRANGE! We tried starting it several times to no avail. We walked to the hotel lobby and asked if there truly was a "mechanic on duty". Well, he came and ruled out the battery (of course we knew that). He looked it over and decided that it was a fuel pump and that with it being Thanksgiving, there was no place open for him to get parts AND he didn't feel he could fix it. He decided that we would have to tow it someplace and leave it. Good thing he only charged us $85.00 for him to "look" at it!! (that was sarcastic) We found a Ford dealership in Rock Springs, Wyoming and had the car towed. They had a drop box for us to put the keys in with instructions on what needed to be done.
In the mean time, I got on the internet and arranged to have a rental car. I was able to get a reservation with Enterprise Rental. Being a little wary, I decided to call to confirm that we indeed could pick up the car. I spoke to their people and they said that the office was open, although, they had problems getting a hold of them, but not to worry, just show up at the airport and all would be well....Why am I so believing!?!
The tow truck driver took Chris and I to drop off the car...so we settled in for the long way back to Rock Springs. We got a good lecture since our Mechanic/Tow Truck driver was also a Baptist Minister. We left the car and proceeded to the airport (if you can really call Rock Springs Airport and airport...boy it is SMALL!) We were dropped off and went inside...believe it or not...there was NOT an Enterprise Rental booth there. I tried calling their number again and was transferred to their local office. It just rang and rang and rang....and rang and rang and rang (oh you get the idea) I ended up hanging up and calling again. This time they said THEY would try to call them. They called both the office and got no one...so I was put on hold again for them to try the shuttle (which I had already tried, but to no avail) As I was beginning to despair, 2 people came out of a door and began to open the Avis Rental Car booth. I went over to them and ask if they had a car we could rent. I told them our story...and they were able to rent us one. I called back Enterprise, and they didn't want to cancel our reservation..so, once again, I was put on hold so that they could try to contact their local office. Once again, no luck..They said that they would reimburse the difference once we got our bill...I guess we shall see...
We got the new car and high tailed it back to the hotel to pick up Tiffany and Wayne. Lucky for us, Little America let us stay in our hotel room at no extra charge until we were able to straighten everything out! We then continued on to Utah. The rest of our drive was uneventful..and we arrived at Grandma and Grandpa Porter's house around 7:30pm...unfortunately, Sonja and her family had already left, and Ben and his family were leaving. Not a problem since we would see them the next day at Cami's wedding. Turkey dinner had been saved for us, so we got to eat and many of the family returned to eat again.
Didn't want us to eat alone! :)
We all enjoyed the company and went to bed rather late. In the morning, we headed toward Lehi...Chris and Tiffany got to babysit Cheryl's children at the hotel. The wedding ceremony at the Mount Timpanogas Temple was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I am so glad that we came! After the ceremony, we picked up Chris and Tiffany and headed to BYU for the luncheon. It was fun to go back to our old "stomping grounds". Here are a FEW pictures of that.
Grandma Porter, Tiffany, Porter and Jenna
Sonja and David
After the luncheon, we picked up Chris' girlfriend Thyme. We all went to the reception that was in Mapleton, Utah and it was beautiful! We stayed at Kayla's house afterwards.
On Saturday, we decided to take the kids to BYU to look around. Here is a picture of Wayne, Chris, Thyme and Tiffany at the sundial...the building behind them is the Clyde Engineering building, where Wayne spent most of his time while he was attending BYU.
Here is Thyme :) Showing the Time.
We then went to the science building...This pendulum was there when we attended.
They added a lot of other things to "play" with...Here is Thyme shooting Chris with an air cannon.
Dinosaurs :)
Tiffany shooting MOM with the air cannon..NOT FUN! (at least for Mom)
This played music when you beat your hand over it...
Chris and Thyme playing with a wave-type machine
Amethyst from Brasil.
The pendulum from the next floor up.
Chris, Thyme, Tiffany and me in front of a new building...no clue what the name of it is.
The spot where 23 years ago, Wayne and I met for the first time after our mission.
The good old "Y" on the mountain.
We went home on Sunday. That too was uneventful...We will return to Rock Springs to get our car this weekend. Hopefully, that will be the end of our ordeal!
No comments:
Post a Comment