Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Newest Additions to our Family

Last week, we lost our Leopard Gecko, Leo. We really don't know what happened to her, but she got sick and did not recover. We were put in touch with a lady who lives near us that happen to have a couple of Bearded Dragons that she was looking for a new home for. They were her daughters and she went off to college. The lady didn't have the time necessary to take care of these two. So, she gave us the 2 Beardies and their habitat.
This is our female "Fluffy". She is still recovering from having a clutch of eggs. She safely delivered 18 fertilized eggs just before we got her. She is a voracious eater, and quite the hunter.
This is the male "Spike". He is very mild mannered and LOVES to be held...actually they both love to be held and pet.
This is Fluffy enjoying a snuggle!
Here is Spike getting ready to attack his food. You never know, that salad may get up and move!! Doesn't he look fierce!?!
Jack has been very curious about these critters. He watches them from the front...and sometimes from the top. There are cracks in the top where he can see in.
Spike is curious about Jack too. At times, Spike will puff himself up and go up the log towards Jack. I'm not sure which would win!
Here is Tiffany showing off Spike. These critters sure have eased the pain of having lost Leo.
Even Jessica has gotten in on the cuddling action. It is a little weird at first as they are not the softest creatures, but they have a lot of love...and when they close their eyes as if in ecstasy over your petting them, it is very satisfying.
Ryan has a special bond with Fluffy. She had a hard time transitioning to her new home. She tried to look fierce and puffed up and spit a little bit. Ryan was able to pick her up and snuggle her. She calmed down right away. It is funny to see her react to his voice! She hears it and tries to get out of the cage. She keeps doing it until he comes over and picks her up.
Even Chris enjoys holding them. I believe he has Spike in his hands in this picture.
Here is a shot of the two of them on their first night here. Top Right corner is Spike and the one "pancaking" is Fluffy.
Here is after we redecorated the tank. I have to say that Fluffy LOVES the new sand and rock, Spike is still trying to adjust!
Here is Spike trying to get as far away from the sand as possible. He is actually using her to boost himself up. While we will miss Leo, these two have been real fun so far. Who would have thought that our family would like Lizards...there are no pictures, but Wayne and Sandie hold them too! It seems as though the first place everyone goes when they get home from school now it to check on them and get their hugs. We have been amazed at how social they are and how well they have fit into our home!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm TOTALLY grossed out by these lovable lizards - but at the same time, I want some snuggle time! totally weird! I'm glad T was able to get some fun lizards! P.S. Holy COW Miss T is beautiful! When did she get so grown up?!?!?!?!?! It's just not right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis is very jealous of your new pets! He would LOVE to have some lizards and snakes around the house. I on the other hand...am glad they live with YOU! I can't believe how big everyone looks!!! They have all shot up so fast!! I love how long Tiffany's hair is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess as far as Lizzards go they are pretty good. I iked the other one better, maybe because I knew her personally. LOL. I am working on getting to know these ones better. You better post a lot of pictures, grandma Sandie, so I can get to know my great grand lizzards better. We sure have great family relations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually really jealous of you!! They look insanely fun! And that is awesome that they are cuddle bugs! My Auntie the Dragon tamer!:) Haha

    ReplyDelete