Sunday, November 7, 2010

Band Season is Over.

I cannot believe that band season is over! It has been an incredible year! They ended up placing 4th in state in the 4A schools. What an incredible journey if you look back just 5 years ago. It was Jessica's first year in Color Guard. There were just over 70 kids total in the band. They were unknown. They went to the regional competitions, but did not make it any farther...they were too far down to be counted in the state. A new band instructor was hired the next year. That year, they had a lot of growing pains, but pushed forward. By the next year, Jessica's Junior year and Ryan's freshman year, the band had increased to 130 kids. They went to the regional competitions, then on to quarter finals and in to the semi finals. They were pleased to have placed 9th in the state...just 1 position below being able to go to the finals. They went farther than they thought was possible! The next year, the band grew once again...up to 140 kids. Their drill was harder, they added props, it was fun. This time, they had done so well that they went from regionals straight to Semi-finals (that privilege is given to the top 6 bands). They went on to the finals and placed 6th in the state. Talk about an up and coming band!
They set their goals high this year...they practiced and practiced and practiced some more. I felt as though I never saw my boys. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday they practiced from 2:15 - 4:00 and on Tuesdays they would practice from 6:00 - 9:00. Each section would have an extra 1 1/2 hour practice. They also practiced most Saturdays...ALL DAY LONG!!!! They went to many competitions...they even went to St. Louis for the Bands of America Super Regionals. I was scheduled to attend as a chaperone, but my health prevented me from participating as much as I normally do. Once again, they did so well in their regional competition, that they went straight to Semi finals, skipping quarter finals.
(you can actually watch the show at www. libertybandboosters.org).
These kids worked HARD! They added to their show...they cleaned it up. They added a jazz run. I'm not sure how they do it with some of those BIG instruments!!!! In the end, they ended up taking 4th in the state. They have much to be proud of.
They have come a LONG way in just a few SHORT years!
Here are the pictures taken during their Semi Final Competition. Ryan plays one of the large Tubas. He is the tallest one. Usually, I can pick him out during the show. Christopher plays the trombone. He has gotten quite tall, but blends in too well...most of the time, I have NO idea where he is on the field. For this purpose, I will not even TRY to point out either one! Semi Finals and Finals were held at the Air Force Academy Falcon Stadium.

Walking on and warm ups.

Look at those parents setting up!

Running out to get set!

Waiting for the announcement and the beginning of the show..










I don't think I would want to jump with a 55 pound tuba!


Or march and play one at the same time!



Can you imagine holding one out in front of you?
It hurts just thinking about it!

How about a little Plie...

How doe they get up from kneeling so smoothly?
My knees want to start cracking.




Jazz run!!!



ok...Play your instrument,
RUN,
STOP
in a straight line
when everyone else STOPS!

then keep on moving!




Those 15 minutes on the field (from entering to exiting)
are grueling!


But oh how SWEET it is when those lines are STRAIGHT!

Caution...if you are off even by a couple of inches,
you could get hit with a pole of a flag.
Chris ended up with a bruised ear and
One kid literally got a concussion during practice.






End the show with flair
and be proud of what you have accomplished!

You can be PROUD of that performance!!!

Look at those parents move!!!
(there is a penalty for not getting off the field within the allotted time)

FINALS!
I just wanted to show you a few pictures of the jazz run
that they did during finals.





After everyone has performed, they have a full band retreat.
All the bands that performed in finals line up.

It is quite the sight!




All the drum majors line up and the awards are handed out.


Way to go Ryan and Chris...and of course
the Liberty High School, Pride of the Lancers
Marching BAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment