Sunday, September 19, 2010

Taking Jessica to School

We started our "Road Trip" a day late...due to technical difficulties (like locking keys in the car, needing a BIGGER rental car to carry all of Jessica's stuff...etc...). We drove all the way to Spanish Fork, Utah. There we stayed at Kayla's (my niece) home. What a BEAUTIFUL home it is!!! We enjoyed getting to know her and Landon. Jessica and I spent a day in Provo. We went to BYU and looked around. We also did a little shopping. On Friday night, we went to the movies with Landon and Kayla. We saw Despicable Me. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE movie. We went to dinner afterwards... Saturday, we drove up to Temple Square or "Temple Squay" according to Hunky Harry, our British GPS. We took a "Tur" of the conference center and of the "Squay".


In one of the visitor's center, they had a model of a cross section of the Salt Lake Temple.
We enjoyed the peace of walking around the square!

We did a lot of walking and went home EXHAUSTED!!! Sunday, we visited a friend of mine from when I attended BYU. It was fun to see her and her family. We then spent the night with my niece Amy and her husband Cody. What a beautiful house she has! I am so impressed. Unfortunately, we only got to spend the one night as we wanted to get up to BYU - Idaho a little earlier.
On our way to Logan, Utah, we went up Provo Canyon. Here we stopped and looked at the beautiful Bridal Veil Falls. Then continued up to Park City. (Did you know there is an outlet mall there?)

We visited with Grandpa and Grandma Porter. They took us up to the cemetery where Martin Harris was buried. It was a fun trip.

We were supposed to head to Twin Falls, Idaho next. However, due to a death in the family of my friend, we went straight to Cheryl's house. What a good thing too!

These next two pictures are an inside joke that Jessica and I have! I believe that is all I will say on this subject...ha,ha.

We ARRIVED at BYU - Idaho or Brigham Young University in Idaho!
We drove around campus the first day. The second day, we went up on campus and purchased the books that she still needed. On the third day, we walked around campus and found where all her classes were. It was nice to see where Jessica will be studying.
Jessica was so excited to have a temple (the Rexburg Temple) almost right outside her door, that she kept taking pictures out of the window of the car.

We spent Saturday with Cheryl and her family at the Idaho State Fair in Blackhawk (I think). We had a lot of fun with her 2 children (Whitney and Reagan)and her husband (Bob)!
The girls and Jessica sure enjoyed looking at the animals.
And feeding them....
And Petting them.....
And hugging on them....
Not sure if Reagan really like them getting close though!

Jessica is a sucker for them animals! Who would have thought?
Jessica made a lot of flowers to put in your hair (with a lot of help from Cheryl). So, I made a frame to hang them in. The animal background for Jessica (it matches the comforter that we made)
And a princess one for the girls...since they are beautiful little princesses!
A special thanks to Jan for telling me how to do it! We visited with Susan and her family on Sunday since Tom was getting the Priesthood. It was wonderful to be able to share that experience with them. We met up at the Bates Cabin for dinner after. Jessica and Cheryl had made some flowers for Susan's girls...but Adam thought they ALL belonged on his head...
Adam is the miracle baby that survived drowning...He is doing wonderful. He still has a feeding tube, but he is able to walk and play. We are all hoping for a complete recovery!
The next day, was move in day. We checked into Jessica's apartment. We got all of her STUFF unloaded and then went out shopping for some essentials needed in the kitchen...namely FOOD. After we put the groceries away, we unpacked and got her things situated. I did not have the camera with me, so there are no pictures of her apartment. I will try to get them from her and post them. She has 3 very nice roommates. I am sure it will be a positive experience for her. We had lunch, then went back to her apartment. They started all the activities for the students WITHOUT the parents. I decided that it would be a good time for me to start home. Cheryl was such a wonderful Aunt and went to the Dinner and Luau with her that night.
I miss my baby horribly, but know that this is the best place for her to continue to grow. I've done my job...I have taught her what she needs to know to succeed! I know that she will have rough days ahead as she adjusts to life without her family breathing down her neck. It is comforting to know that her Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Bob are only a phone call and 10 minutes away. I am very proud of Jessica...she is setting a great example to her family and roommates!
My hope is that she studies as hard as she plays. We love you Jessica!!

3 comments:

  1. What a treasure to be able to make those memories together! I hope you are fortunate enough to have the same one on one time with the rest of the family as they start their educational journey. Jessica is a sweet and loving girl with a very good head on her shoulders (thanks to a great set of parents). I'm sure she will do fantastic! Good luck Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love having her close by! Whitney and Reagan adore her! She came over tonight for dinner and seems to be really enjoying the college life. I'm glad you guys came and stayed with us, it was fun having you. Thanks so much for the cute barrett holder, and thank you for the cute blanket you made for Reagan and the Dora book. They love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica is such an amazing girl! I couldn't believe how smart she is. And so spiritual. You raised the perfect example! :) Thanks for staying with us! I am happy the rest of your trip was just as good!

    I love that the Temple is right on campus! She is going to love that! :)

    ReplyDelete